NICHOLE L. FINNIE C.I.A.O. ASSESSOR
Under Illinois law, several programs designed to provide property tax relief are available to homeowners.
We have prepared this guide to familiarize you with these programs, and to answer the most frequently asked questions.
Exemptions reduce the Equalized Assessed Valuation on the property prior to the calculation of real estate taxes due.
Exemptions are only available on residential properties used as a primary residence.
They are not available for commercial, industrial, second homes, rental or vacant properties.
If you believe you are eligible for any of these exemptions, please check the appropriate boxes on your property tax statement. It is the responsibility of the taxpayer to make sure that these exemptions are applied for. If you have any questions please contact our office and we will be glad to assist you.
- Homeowners (Owner Occupied) Exemption is available to owners who occupy a property as their principle residence on January 1 of the assessment year. The amount of the exemption is the difference between the 1977 equalized assessed value and the current assessed value. A reduction of up to 6000 in assessed value is provided.
Residential Improvement Exemption is available to homeowners who improve their existing property. The exemption could delay the amount of increased assessed value up to 25,000 for a four-year period. The property must be owner-occupied.
- Senior Homestead Exemption is for citizens 65 years and older who own and occupy their residences. A reduction of 5000 in assessed value is provided.
- Senior Citizen Assessment Freeze Homestead Exemption allows qualified senior citizens to elect to freeze the equalized assessed value of their property at the base year amount. To qualify for the assessment freeze homestead exemption you must be 65 years of age or older, have a total household gross income (including Social Security) of no more than $55,000.
Also available are three exemptions:
Please note: Application for these exemptions can be made at the Chief County Assessment Office
1504 3rd Avenue Rock Island County Office Building 558-3660 All exemption forms are available on the Rock Island County website www.rockislandcounty.org.
- PTAX 343 Application for Homestead Exemption for Persons with Disabilities $2000 reduction in assessed value
- PTAX 342 Application for Disabled Veterans’ Standard Homestead Exemption 71%+ disabled =$5,000 reduction in assessed value
50%-70% disabled=$2,500 reduction in assessed value
- PTAX 341 Application for Returning Veterans Homestead Exemption $5,000 reduction in assessed value for the year returning from active duty.